Did you know that within 15 seconds a buyer has already developed an opinion of your property? This is why establishing the right first impression is critical to achieving a successful sale. Following is a list of elements which create the overall first impression, including suggestions on how to make sure the buyer reacts favorably.
A fresh coat of paint can be one of the best investments you can make to increase the value of your home.
If you do not want to spend the money to paint the entire home, consider just the entry at least.
Attractive windows can help increase appeal.
- Replace any cracked or broken glass.
- Make sure the windows are sparkling clean.
- Apply touch–up paint where needed.
- Repaint the door.
- Apply new door hardware.
- Install a brass kick plate.
- Install a new front light fixture.
- Use adequate wattage in light bulbs.
- Consider replacing older fluorescent lamps, which darken with use.
- Use mirrors to magnify the feeling of light and space.
- Use track lights to create a high-tech look.
- Use light wall colors.
- Open drapes and blinds and turn on lights prior to showings
- Shades of white, off–white and very light pastels are the safest choices for the interior.
- Avoid highly patterned wallpaper whenever possible.
- Try to limit bright colors to accents like fresh flowers, towels, area rugs and shower curtains.
- Avoid barking dogs and noisy children, if possible.
- Also avoid sounds of work like vacuums, dishwashers and lawn mowers.
- Make sure there are no sounds of mechanical problems like banging pipes or faulty appliances.
- Light classical or instrumental music can be effective in creating a pleasing atmosphere.
- The smell of newness is positive. This scent can be achieved by applying a fresh coat of polyurethane to natural wood or latex paint to walls.
- The smell of cleanliness is important to the selling environment of your house. Beyond actually cleaning, lemon oil or lemon wax can help create a lasting scent of freshness. Fresh flowers can also be effective.
- For a real heart–warming touch, place a dish of vanilla in a warm oven to create the aroma of fresh–baked cookies or bread.
- Sweeten the refrigerator with a box of baking soda.
- Smells to avoid include strong pet odors, tobacco, and cooking oil or gas.
- Repaint the entry using light, neutral colors.